Career satisfaction comes more quickly to some than others, but don’t give up.
You try to love your work. Maybe you have even changed jobs looking for fulfilling work. But the truth is, you haven’t been able to find the work you love in a corporate job.
Perhaps you’re frustrated with yourself thinking, “Others are content with even less rewarding jobs. Why do I need something more from my work?”
Calculate the cost of unmotivated work.
If you show up for work Monday morning without any desire to be there, it will show in your work output and quality. Working half-heartedly will affect your career. Perhaps your feeling of dissatisfaction could even cost your job.
But isn’t this sense of dissatisfaction the ordinary path every successful person takes?
Don’t believe the lie.
If you’re about to believe the lie that settling for ordinary is the price of adulthood, don’t! Instead, change your attitude and find ways to like your work. Look for a new job. Or choose the sidepreneur option—create work you love on your own terms.
Your time is limited, so don’t waste it living someone else’s life.
— Steve Jobs
We spend only 35% of our waking hours at work. Do something that produces value for others with the other 65% of your productive time. A side business will improve your outlook, and it may even provide an eventual exit from your job.
Of course, every adult must be responsible. Be responsible. But don’t live a life filled with regret.
Change your mind. Think like others who have built businesses.
- Read and share The Sidepreneur Manifesto
- Learn how Aaron Walker overcame his fear and opened his first business at 18 years old. He says, “I fear missing out more than I fear failure.”
- See how John Swienconek’s belief, “If they can do it, so can I” enabled him to leave a stable job and start a tree service business.
- You’ll realize you don’t need to know everything at the beginning as you read William Donnell’s story of starting a project with 50% of the required knowledge.
- Learn how, even with a demanding military career, Dave Chesson is building a business that lets him take care of his family.
If these successful business owners can do it, so can you!
You have reached a point of decision. Either you can continue to do what you’ve done in the past and hope for fulfilling work. Or, you can choose to take your first steps toward creating your side business.
Start the change. Subscribe to Sidepreneur Magazine
Take your first sidepreneur steps
- Read our guide to starting a side business.
- Reach out by email with any comments and questions. Any email, from one sentence to Moby Dick, is welcome.
- Or, dig into the content and connect by commenting on interviews and articles.
- Spread the word!